How do you write a Death Notice?
What is a Death Notice?
A death notice is a short announcement of an individual’s death. It includes a few details like name, age, date, cause of death, and details about the memorial service (time and venue). It can also include details on how to make donations.
We understand this time may be difficult and it may be difficult to carry out these tasks.
Differences between the Obituary and Death Notice
A death notice is a brief announcement of the death whereas an obituary is a detailed announcement. The obituary can be written by a family member and is often more personal. Obituaries can be heartfelt or funny and portray the true character of the deceased person.
What is included in the Death Notice?
The information included in a death notice:
- Full Name
- Date of death
- Cause of death
- Time, date and venue of the funeral service
- Family members (husband or wife, children and grandchildren)
Death notice may also include other details like:
- Personality traits
Samples of a simple Death Notices
- Date of Birth - Date of Passing
- Details of Death - for example - Finally at rest after a long illness or passed away suddenly
The Dun family announces with great sadness the loss of their beloved father, Adam, age 75 on September 20, 2020. Funeral details to be advised in [tomorrow’s] edition of the [newspaper].
Memorial donations may be made in [Adam’s] name to [the Dunn Foundation]
Rachel Walsh, 85. Our beloved mother passed away peacefully on September 15, 2019.
How to write a death notice?
- Death notices can be published online or in local newspapers.
- Identify the newspapers which you want to publish the death notice and find out details like the print deadline, word count required, and price.
- Most newspapers charge either as a price per word or a standard price
- Write the content of the death notice including name, age, details of death, memorial service and how to make donations
- Proofread the notice - we recommend getting a friend or family member to check the final draft as well.
- Submit for publication